Associate Director of Development - Individual GivingSeattle Opera • Full-Timehttp://www.seattleopera.org/Seattle, WASeattle Opera is accepting applications for the position of Associate Director of Development - Individual Giving
This full-time, salaried position reports to the Director of Development, leads the Individual Giving staff, programs and activities including the work of the Board of Trustees' Annual Fund Committee; research, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of individual donor prospects and individual donors.
Scope and Principal Accountabilities
This position is responsible for developing and implementing the Seattle Opera's Individual Giving strategies and plans to meet the funding needs of the company, supervising the Individual Giving staff collaborating with trustees, Seattle Opera staff members, and external contacts including planned giving consultants and others.
This position is tasked to:
- Develop and implement strategy for individual giving, utilizing best practices garnered from a comparative review of individual giving programs of local and national arts organizations, focusing on new and increased gifts, and utilizing Board Trustees, General Director, Executive Director, Director of Development, all development staff, and other Seattle Opera colleagues as needed.
- Research giving history of past, current and prospective individual donors.
- Identify, cultivate and solicit individual contributions.
- Manage the "Majors" portfolio (individual donors of $5,000 and more), serving as ticket concierge when appropriate.
- Prepare all written materials in support of individual giving.
- Recommend potential new trustees and attend board meetings.
- Lead efforts to preserve individual donor data in Tessitura and produce relevant, timely and effective reports in collaboration with the Associate Director of Development â€“ Annual Fund and Development Operations Manager and the Individual Giving staff in order to fully assess donors' complete giving profiles.
- Develop revenue and expense individual giving goals in collaboration with the Development Operations Manager and provide individual giving daily, weekly and monthly forecasts.
- Interface with all company departments, to identify prospective programs/projects in need of funding and to ensure that individual donor sponsorship recognition/visibility is accurate and appropriate.
- Work development department events, including donor lounge dinners and receptions, to cultivate prospect and steward donor relationships.
- Attend non-development events where designated individual stakeholders are represented in an effort to enhance external relations and serve donors in an ambassador/advocacy/facilitator role.
- Support all other departmental activities and events.
- Attend community events/meetings pertaining to Seattle Opera as requested and appropriate.
- Participate in related professional organizations as approved.
- Perform other duties as assigned and needed to successfully achieve development department goals.
Qualifications & Required Skills
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in the performing arts field or non-profit management.
- 5-10 years work in development with increasing responsibilities and demonstrated fundraising success.
- Superb interpersonal and communications skills – particularly as applied to interactions with high level donors.
- Donor communications experience strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated success creating and executing work plans, and supervising staff.
- Proven ability to think creatively and strategically.
- Excellent organization skills: able to plan ahead, meet deadlines and goals while simultaneously managing multiple projects.
- Demonstrated, outstanding interpersonal, presentation and business communications skills.
- Knowledge of and experience with Tessitura and proficiency in Microsoft Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Entrepreneurial, highly motivated individual.
- Able to respond well and appropriately under pressure.
- Collegial and collaborative approach to assignments.
- Knowledge of opera is a plus.
Evening and weekend work as required for events and departmental activities.
Salary DOE. Seattle Opera offers a generous benefit package including medical, dental, life and disability insurance as well as free parking.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
or by mail to Seattle Opera, Attn: Associate Director of Development – Individual Giving, PO Box 9248, Seattle, WA 98109.
Seattle Opera is an equal opportunity employer.