Executive DirectorAtlantic Classical Orchestra • Full-Timehttp://atlanticclassicalorchestra.com/Fort Pierce, FLORGANIZATION
Now in its 24th season, Atlantic Classical Orchestra (ACO) is building a reputation as a world–class performing arts organization dedicated to presenting performances of both orchestral and chamber music in the rapidly growing urban communities on Florida’s eastern seaboard north of Miami. While its core repertory is based in the great music of the late 18th and early 19th centuries, the orchestra has also developed an active commitment to the rediscovery of neglected music from the Romantic era, written for an orchestra of classical proportions. When possible, ACO also includes the best suitable contemporary music with a special emphasis on the younger generation of American composers.
As a dynamic organization that embraces the communities it serves, ACO’s mission is to:
- Present musical performances of the highest possible artistic level
- Continue to broaden the outreach of ACO as a primary cultural resource serving the Treasure Coast and in other venues that would enhance the prestige of ACO
- Encourage and cultivate the appreciation of classical symphonic music by offering enriching, educational, and accessible musical experiences for Treasure Coast residents
Led by Grammy-nominated Artistic Director and Conductor Stewart Robertson, ACO is composed of more than 40 members drawn not only from Florida’s principal musical organizations, but also major orchestras throughout the USA. The orchestra’s artistic vision, high caliber of playing, and variety of works performed have resulted in critical acclaim. Maestro Robertson is focused on nurturing the ensemble as a leader in national and international circles. It released its first recording, an all-Schumann CD featuring renowned violinist Elmar Oliveira, in February 2013.
The only resident performing arts organization of Florida’s Treasure Coast, ACO currently performs four concert programs from January to April at two subscription venues: the 800-seat Waxlax Center in Vero Beach and the 500-seat Lyric Theater in downtown Stuart. In 2014, the ACO also began offering free open dress rehearsals in the Eissey Theater on the campus of Palm Beach State College. Its educational and outreach efforts include an ongoing relationship with the Treasure Coast Youth Symphony.
ACO is a private, nonprofit 501(c)3 corporation governed by a 25-member Board of Directors. Currently with an annual operating budget of nearly $1 million for FY14 and a $1.3 million endowment, the Board, Artistic Director, and staff are engaged in a process to guide the expansion of financial resources, organizational capabilities, and orchestral programming throughout the region.
Florida’s Treasure Coast consists of Indian River, St. Lucie and Martin Counties and is considered to be one of the most beautiful regions in the state. It is located along the Atlantic Ocean and connected by the Indian River Lagoon. The Treasure Coast is also referred to as the “Research Coast” because of its many biotech companies including the USDA Research Lab, Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute, the Smithsonian Institute’s Oceanographic Lab, and Torrey Pines Institute of Molecular Studies, among others.
The Treasure Coast region has some of the best rated schools in the state, including Martin County's High School and South Fork High School, named by Newsweek
as being among the top five percent of public high schools in the country. Vero Beach High School has a large music program including a highly regarded philharmonic orchestra that is one of three in the country that have been invited to play at the Kennedy Center. Institutions of higher education include Indian River State College, headquartered in Fort Pierce and ranked in the top ten of public regional colleges in the South by U.S. News & World Report
, and as the 5th most affordable college in the country, by the U.S. Department of Education.
With an average annual high temperature of 82 degrees and an average annual low temperature of 63 degrees, residents of the Treasure Coast enjoy a high quality of life. With over 32 golf courses located in the three-county region, miles of white sandy beaches, unique shopping, dining, water sports, fishing, hunting and camping, the region offers something for everyone. Port St. Lucie is the spring training home of the New York Mets and the home of the Class A Mets farm system. Vero Beach also hosts Minor League Baseball.
Unique cultural opportunities abound, including the Heathcote Botanical Gardens, Navy SEAL Museum, Manatee Observation and Educational Center, and the Zora Neale Hurston Dust Tracks Heritage Trail and annual ZoraFest, honoring the famous African-American writer who spent her final years in the area. The Vero Beach Museum of Art and Riverside Theatre have gained national recognition for excellence and McKee Gardens has maintained a high reputation from when it was one of Florida’s earliest tourism attractions.
Reporting to the President of the Board of Directors and working in partnership with the Artistic Director, the Executive Director will further develop Atlantic Classical Orchestra to enable the achievement of its artistic, financial, and community relations goals. The scope of responsibility for this position includes maximizing contributed and earned revenue, providing staff leadership and mentorship, spearheading strategic short- and long-range planning, and cultivating audience and relationships in the communities that the orchestra currently serves and those markets that it is considering.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
In keeping with leadership of a dynamic, well respected, and community-focused chamber orchestra in the 21st
century, responsibilities include the following:
TRAITS AND CHARACTERISTICS
- Identify stakeholders, develop strategies, and define how key messages will be delivered to various individuals and institutions to maximize visibility, brand, and most importantly, contributed and earned revenue opportunities.
- Take a leadership role in the organization’s development programs and identify appropriate funding opportunities from individuals, foundations, corporations, and government agencies, working with the Board of Directors and staff.
- Support the work of the Chairman of the Board as the chief fundraiser and spokesperson for the organization, and provide direction and impetus to the fundraising activities of the Board of Directors and staff for all aspects of major gift cultivation and broader solicitation of contributions.
- Devise effective marketing efforts that expand audiences and achieve earned income goals from subscription and single ticket sales.
Operational and Strategic Planning
- Develop, implement, and monitor the Orchestra’s artistic objectives with the vision and leadership to ensure that ACO achieves its goals for artistic excellence, financial stability, and community engagement.
- Oversee short-term operational and long-range strategic planning and implementation processes, including stewardship of the organization’s human, financial, and technological resources.
- Work with legal counsel and Board to oversee and negotiate contractual matters.
Branding and Institutional Visibility
- Guide the public image, visibility, and increased brand awareness of ACO, clearly articulating its mission, vision, programs, and impact.
- Continue to encourage concert series and programs that attract a broad base of support for the artistic vision and community vision.
- Promote new programs that build diverse audiences.
- Communicate the artistic and community impacts of the organization through the media, institutional messages, and at public speaking engagements in tandem with the Artistic Director and President of the Board.
- Oversee the fiscal soundness of the organization, including preparation, reporting, and monitoring annual operating budgets with accuracy, timeliness, and a view towards long-term financial stability.
- Monitor and authorize expenditures, and prepare monthly income statement, balance sheet, and cash flow projections for Board review and approval.
- Negotiate and execute concert hall leases and obtain other concert space as required.
- Establish and maintain an environment with appropriate infrastructure that supports and maximizes the best uses of orchestra musicians, conductors, guest artists, Board, staff, and volunteers.
- Oversee all aspects of administration including personnel planning to ensure that the organization is effectively structured and staffed.
- Recruit high caliber administrative staff, providing leadership and motivation, and ensuring that staff has the support and information they need to make sound decisions; evaluate staff performance annually or more often, as needed.
- Provide guidance that best utilizes the talents and resources of the Board.
- Stimulate involvement and work closely with the Board to ensure fiscal health and effective policy setting, community ambassadorship, and general governance of the organization.
- Assist in Board prospect identification, cultivation, and recruitment.
- Orient, educate, and engage Board members to maximize their effectiveness.
- Develop processes with Board leadership regarding evaluation, celebration, and succession planning for Board members.
The Executive Director will bring an energetic and entrepreneurial perspective and a unified, pragmatic approach in building an effective management team and organizational structure that best serves Atlantic Classical Orchestra’s mission, vision, goals, and artistic leadership. A resilient, tenacious, and results- oriented professional and hands-on manager, the selected individual will have a proven track record and possess exceptional organizational, fundraising, and communication skills. A desire to work in an environment with frequent interaction with internal stakeholders and visionary engagement of external stakeholders is needed. The selected candidate will value knowledge and intellectual growth and act as a strong partner to the Artistic Director and the Board.
The selected candidate should also demonstrate the following competencies:
- Leadership – Demonstrates interest in, loyalty for, and positive expectations of others. Delegates responsibilities and involves others in decision-making.
- Self-Management and Personal Accountability – Prioritizes and completes tasks necessary to meet or exceed the mutually agreed upon expectations of the role while being accountable for personal and professional actions.
- Planning and Organizing – Develops procedures, processes and systems for orderly operations, accuracy, efficiency and productivity. Allocates and manages ACO resources according to priorities. Monitors implementation of plans and makes adjustments as needed.
- Goal Achievement – Establishes goals for the Orchestra that are relevant, realistic and attainable. Identifies and implements required plans and milestones to achieve specific objectives and initiates activity toward goals without unnecessary delay. Stays on target to complete goals regardless of obstacles or adverse circumstances.
The successful candidate will have a minimum 5-7 years of senior management experience with demonstrated ability to develop organizations. ACO is seeking a leader who has an established record of success and expertise in fundraising along with proven managerial skills, including strong financial management capabilities and instincts. Qualified applicants will have a Bachelor's degree, with an advanced degree or equivalent experience preferred. A background in the performing arts or other nonprofit organization is essential with orchestra management experience highly desirable.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Competitive compensation package commensurate with experience, including health insurance, vacation, and holidays.
APPLICATION AND INQUIRIES
Please submit a letter and resume with a summary of demonstrable accomplishments via email to:
Mr. Daniel Zanella Senior Consultant
Arts Consulting Group, Inc.
503 East Jackson Street, Suite 337
Tampa, FL 33602-4904
Tel: (888) 234.4236, Ext. 11
Fax: (888) 284.6651
Cell: (201) 306.3201
Atlantic Classical Orchestra is an Equal Opportunity Employer