Community Engagement AssistantMetropolitan Opera Guild • Part-Timehttp://www.metguild.orgNew York, NY
The Metropolitan Opera Guild Community Engagement department is pleased to offer one part-time position (approximately 20 hours per week) to an outstanding candidate in performing arts administration for the 2014-15 opera season. The Community Engagement season consists of programs primarily directed towards adult and lifelong learners, including lectures, master classes, Backstage Tours, and more, and the Assistant will be fully immersed in these specific programs throughout the duration of the season, as well as responsible for acting as the face of the Metropolitan Opera Guild in relationship-building with a diverse group of constituents.
- Coordination of Opera Learning Center set-ups and strikes for Community Engagement and rental events; running front-of-house and/or technical needs for events.
- Providing excellent customer service by welcoming and checking in guests for events, answering questions, processing at-door sales, and tracking customer feedback, expectations, and needs appropriately.
- Completing database entry and maintenance using Tessitura.
- Maintaining correspondence with customers through email, phone, and mail, as well as fielding questions from the volunteer hotline and coordinating volunteers at events.
- Processing lecture, Backstage Tour, and score-desk ticket orders via telephone and email communication, as well as in-person and online orders.
- Being trained and prepared to give backstage tours of the Metropolitan Opera House.
- Preparing, drafting, and/or providing editorial support for educational and marketing materials and handouts.
- Assisting the Guild’s Social Media team with outreach via Facebook, Twitter, and more.
- Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will be a high energy, hard-working team player confident in his/her ability to take initiative when needed. Clear, effective, and open communication is essential. A classical music background and/or interest in opera and theater preferred. The successful candidate will be expected to cultivate relationships with the public and must thrive on communicating with audiences diverse in ages and levels of opera knowledge.
Previous experience in customer service, hospitality, retail, stage management, or special events encouraged, as well as the ability to lift approximately 30-40 pounds. Familiarity and working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite programs required. Experience or familiarity with Tessitura data and ticketing system a plus.
This is a part-time position, approximately 20 hours per week with weekend and weekday evening hours required, so a flexible schedule is essential. We are willing to work with students or professionals with part-time availability. Ideal start date is Monday, July 14, 2014. Opera season ends in mid-May 2015.
Carefully review the Community Engagement department mission
and its annual brochure of programs
Upon review of the above, please submit a cover letter explaining your relevant experience and your connection to our mission and programs, as well as a résumé of your educational and professional experiences to date.
Please send application materials to Lacey Upton at email@example.com.
Applications are due Wednesday, June 11, 2014 at 5:00pm. No phone calls, please.
The Metropolitan Opera Guild, an Equal Opportunity Employer, encourages applications from persons who are members of groups that have traditionally been underrepresented based on race, color, national origin, gender, age, or disability.