Leadership Intensive 2014
Application Deadline: January 31, 2014
"Leadership Intensive was the foundation rock upon which I can enter into a leadership position…The other participants are now my personal board of directors and will stay in touch with them throughout my career by any means possible."
— Christopher Powell
Music Administrator, Pittsburgh Opera
The Leadership Intensive program identifies the most promising professionals in the field of opera administration and provides them with a unique experience designed to bolster their leadership capacity and advance their careers. Seminars and networking opportunities provide an active learning environment for addressing strategic issues, building necessary skills and fostering strong professional connections in order to lead the opera field. Following the program, participants are prepared to apply new skills, share their learning and demonstrate leadership that contributes to local companies and communities. Participants are selected based on their potential to achieve a senior or executive level position in their next career move.
Completed applications must be received by January 31, 2014.
Leadership Intensive is a two-part program.
- Opera Conference 2014: Audiences Reimagined*: The premier annual gathering of industry professionals from June 19-23, 2014, in San Francisco. Participants will attend an exclusive Leadership Intensive seminar, participate in a half-day skill building workshop and meet as a group for a series of breakfast presentations. Sessions will draw from the expertise of leaders throughout the industry and address strategic-level decision making in various areas of opera administration. The Leadership Intensive track at the conference also includes a number of networking opportunities and events.
- Summer Intensive: A week-long leadership development workshop in New York City at the National Opera Center, August 18-22, 2014. The Summer Intensive will build on the topics covered at the annual conference, with a particular focus on personal leadership development.
"An invaluable and life-changing learning experience."
— James Hampton
Austin Lyric Opera
Pictured: Zackery Hayhurst
Program faculty will include Astrid Baumgardner, J.D., certified professional coach; and Kevin Smith, OPERA America field consultant. Past topics have included marketing, development, governance, strategic planning, education and engagement, financial management, meeting facilitation, time management, communications and labor relations.
Annual conference in San Francisco:
Thursday, June 19, 2014 at 1:30 p.m. – Monday, June 23 at 3:00 p.m.
Summer Intensive in New York:
Monday, August 18, 2014 at 9:00 a.m. – Friday, August 22, 2014 at 5:00 p.m.
Those accepted into the program are expected to participate fully in all aspects of the Leadership Intensive’s active learning environment. All applicants are expected to attend both components of the program in full. Exceptions for especially qualified candidates, who are paying their own way, may be made on a case-by-case basis. Please make the case for an exception in your cover letter.
Thanks to a generous grant from American Express, OPERA America will award 10 scholarships covering tuition, registration and partial travel and lodging expenses. Recipients must be U.S. citizens and must attend both components of the program in full. Reimbursements are available to cover 60% of eligible travel and lodging expenses. The maximum available reimbursement per person is $2,000 toward eligible expenses for the entire program (60% of receipts totaling up to $3,333).
A limited number of additional applicants may be invited to participate in the program if they are deemed exceptionally qualified, but they would need to provide their own transportation and accommodation. Tuition and registration fees apply.
Qualifications and Requirements
"Leadership Intensive was an amazing experience. It didn't just give me tools or connections....most importantly it gave a confidence to lead. That is priceless!"
— Peggy Kriha Dye
General Manager, Opera Columbus
Successful applicants will have demonstrated their dedication to a career in opera or arts administration. Applicants must have at least an undergraduate degree. Ideal candidates will have a minimum of three years of professional opera administration experience and/or a master's degree in arts administration or related field. Alumni of the program are ineligible to apply, but are encouraged to participate in Opera Conference 2014
The application must be completed in full. Please note that this includes having the support of your direct supervisor and a letter of recommendation from someone in the opera field who can endorse your application.
OPERA America will welcome a limited number of qualified international participants to the program. These participants are not eligible for transportation and accommodation reimbursements from OPERA America, although they are welcome to seek funding from other sources.
- Canadian Applicants: Please see Opera.ca for more information. Contact Christina Loewen at C_Loewen@opera.ca.
- European Applicants: Please see Opera Europa for more information. Contact Audrey Jungers at Audrey@opera-europa.org.
- Other international applicants: You may apply using this OPERA America website. Please note that no transportation or accommodation reimbursement will be available. Tuition and registration fees apply. In your cover letter, please include additional information:
- Confirmation that you will provide your own transportation and accommodations, and that you will arrange for any required visas.
- If English is not your primary language, please provide evidence that your written and spoken English is at a level that will enable you to succeed in this program.
Contact Leah D. Wilson at LWilson@operaamerica.org
*Individuals interested in participating only in the annual conference component may register for one of the conference seminars and participate in select emerging leaders events in conjunction with Opera Conference 2014
. No application is necessary. Conference and seminar registration fees apply. Conference-only participants are responsible for their own transportation and accommodations. E-mail Leah D. Wilson at LWilson@operaamerica.org
for more information.
Generously supported by American Express.