Backstage Brunch 2021
A virtual salon and fundraiser in support of OPERA America’s Mentorship Program for Women Administrators
Saturday, April 17, 2021
12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. ET
Presented Live on Zoom
Soprano and Advocate
Artistic Advisor, Portland Opera
Creator and Host, Kiki Konversations
Justine F. Chen & Niloufar Nourbakhsh
OPERA America Grant Recipients
Former Chief Classical Music Critic, The Washington Post
Networking Hangouts (optional)
1:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. ET
Chaired by Generous Women in Communities Across North America
- Sue Bienkowski, Long Beach Chair
- Astrid Baumgardner, Past Chair (New York City)
- Michele Fabrizi, Pittsburgh Chair
- Margee Filstrup, Tulsa Chair
- Carol Henry, Los Angeles Chair
- Laura Kaminsky, Past Chair (New York City)
- Sue Marineau, Santa Fe Chair
- Jeri Sedlar, Past Chair (Sarasota)
- Jill Steinberg, Past Chair (New York City)
- Rhonda Sweeney, Houston Chair
- Shoshana Tancer, Phoenix Chair
- Elisabeth Waltz, Austin Chair
Are you interested in serving as a regional chair in your community? Learn more.
EMCEED BY PAST PARTICIPANTS OF THE MENTORSHIP PROGRAM
Mitra Sadeghpour, Education Director, Minnesota Opera (Protégé 2018)
Stacy C. Brightman, Vice President, LA Opera Connects (Mentor 2018)
INTERVIEW CONDUCTED BY
Rebekah Diaz, Manager of Community Engagement and IDEA Initiatives, Pittsburgh Opera (Protégé 2019)
Empowering Women in Opera
OPERA America’s Mentorship Program for Women Administrators promotes the advancement of women into leadership positions across the field. Established in 2018 with support from the inaugural Backstage Brunch, the program responded to an unfortunate reality: Women are underrepresented in opera’s top positions, especially in larger companies.
The Mentorship Program pairs the field’s most promising women professionals with accomplished opera leaders who can support these protégés in achieving their career goals. Overseen by the Women’s Opera Network, an action group of opera stakeholders dedicated to advancing gender parity, each protégé-mentor pair works together over twelve months, with an orientation meeting at the mentor’s home company and coaching throughout the year. Mentors guide protégés in identifying and overcoming barriers to their achievement.
The 2021 Backstage Brunch will support the next cohort of protégé-mentor pairs, while highlighting stories of female empowerment and advocacy by leading women in opera.
Special Thanks to the Sponsors of the 2021 Backstage Brunch
Confidante - $5,000
Counselor - $1,000
Sara S. Morgan
Sarah Billinghurst Solomon
Coach - $500
Robert W. Garrett
W. Elisabeth Juen Waltz
Companion - $250
Susan Esco Chandler
Julie Grady Heard
Lee Anne Myslewski
Marc A. Scorca
- Single - $100
- Household - $200
Two or more people with a single Zoom log-on.
- Professional - $50
Administrator or artist working in opera.
- Sponsored - Free
Administrators or artists who are unable to purchase a ticket may request a ticket underwritten by event sponsors.
- Companion - $250
Household ticket plus sponsorship of one professional.
- Coach - $500
Household ticket plus sponsorship of six professionals.
- Counselor - $1,000
Sponsorship of an orientation meeting of a protégé-mentor pair, plus a household ticket.
- Confidante - $5,000
Sponsorship of a protégé-mentor pair for a full year, plus a household ticket and additional event tickets for friends and family, upon request.
- Donations to the Backstage Brunch underwrite the participation of administrators and artists who are unable to purchase tickets to the event, and support the protégés and mentors of the 2021 Mentorship Program for Women Administrators.
All tickets and contributions are 100% tax-deductible.
Regional chairs of the 2021 Backstage Brunch serve as ambassadors in rallying local support around the national event and Mentorship Program. Regional chairs:
- Commit to purchasing a Sponsor Ticket ($250+) to the Brunch.
- Extend invitations to recruit at least 3 additional friends or colleagues to purchase tickets or make contributions.
- Are recognized on the Backstage Brunch webpage and virtual event program as representatives of their local community.
- Can contribute video messages to the opening Brunch greeting and post-event communications.
If you're interested in serving as a regional chair, contact Dan Cooperman, chief advancement officer, at DCooperman@operaamerica.org or 646.699.5266.
R.S.V.P. by Wednesday, April 14, 2021
See who's coming this year.
Backstage Brunch Photos: 2016-2020
Formerly held in-person at our National Opera Center in New York City.