OPERA America Welcomes Four New Members to its Board of Directors and Re-Elects Seven Current Members
OPERA America, the national nonprofit service organization for opera, is proud to announce that four new members have been elected to its Board of Directors. Elections were held during OPERA America’s recent Annual Business Meeting at Opera Conference 2013 in Vancouver, British Columbia.
Serving first terms are Melia P. Tourangeau (President & CEO, Utah Symphony | Utah Opera in Salt Lake City, UT), Kathryn Smith (General Director, Madison Opera) and Nicole Paiement (Founder, Artistic Director and Conductor, Opera Parallèle in San Francisco, CA). Returning after a required hiatus is Charles MacKay (General Director, The Santa Fe Opera). MacKay previously served on the Board of Directors from 1997-2012, having been elected to the offices of Chairman (2004) and Vice Chairman (1998-2004).
“It is a great honor to welcome these outstanding members to our Board of Directors,” stated Marc A. Scorca, president/CEO of OPERA America. “Nicole, Kathryn, Melia and Charles lead opera companies that exemplify the broad spectrum of the industry today — from presenting world premieres in unusual and intimate venues to mounting classic repertoire on grand stages to designing meaningful programs for their communities. As a result of their demonstrated leadership, strategic and agile decision-making and commitment to our art form, voting was unanimous and enthusiastic.”
Seven current members of the Board of Directors were re-elected to a second term:
- J.A. “Gus” Blanchard: trustee emeritus, Minnesota Opera
- Gregory Carpenter: general director, Opera Colorado
- Rena M. De Sisto: global arts, culture and international CSR executive, Bank of America
- David B. Devan: general director and president, Opera Philadelphia
- Allen R. Freedman: opera patron
- Jake Heggie: composer
- Andreas Mitisek: general and artistic director, Long Beach Opera and Chicago Opera Theater
Five officers of the Board of Directors were re-elected to their posts:
- Darren K. Woods (general director, Fort Worth Opera) as Vice-Chairman and Artistic Services Committee Chairman
- Stephen Trampe (trustee, Opera Theatre of Saint Louis and president, Owen Development) as Vice-Chairman and Opera Center Committee Chairman
- David Bennett (executive director, Gotham Chamber Opera in New York City) as Vice-Chairman and Governance Committee Chairman
- Timothy O’Leary (general director, Opera Theatre of Saint Louis) as Treasurer and Finance Committee Chairman
- James W. Wright (general director, Vancouver Opera) as Secretary and Membership Committee Chairman.
The OPERA America Board of Directors oversees the organization’s portfolio of programs, including professional development activities, research and advocacy, educational offerings and grant initiatives such as the Building Opera Audiences program and The Opera Fund in support of new works. The Board of Directors meets three times each year, and the next meeting will take place in October in Washington, D.C.
Board of Overseers Created
At the same meeting, OPERA America established the National Opera Center Board of Overseers. Members of the Board of Overseers, collectively and individually, assist the OPERA America Board of Directors and senior staff in fulfilling the vision of the National Opera Center and, through it, advancing the mission of OPERA America.
The following individuals have accepted an invitation to serve on the Board of Overseers: John Baumgartner (New York), Emilie Roy Corey (New York), Henry Cox (Delaware and Washington D.C.), Jane Gross (New York), Stephen Prystowsky (North Carolina) and Brett Stover (Ohio).