Opera Conference 2024 | June 5-8
Opera Conference 2024 brings opera administrators, artists, trustees, and advocates from across North America together in Los Angeles to move the art form forward.
Directly following the second-ever World Opera Forum, the conference will weave the global discourse of the forum into four days of sessions, discussions, and networking focused on advancing the industry in the United States and Canada.
The conference is hosted by LA Opera, which will headline a festival of performances throughout the greater Los Angeles area.
The World Opera Forum will set the stage for the conference by leading global discussions about making the case for opera in the 21st century. The closing session of the forum will launch the conference as its opening session.
Over the subsequent four days, attendees will translate the topics of the forum into key discussions about the future of the North American opera field.
Opening Session: Making a Case for Opera in the 21st Century
Topic I: Managing Accelerating Change
Topic II: What Does It Mean to Be Local?
Topic III: Expanding the Opera Business Model
The conference includes several types of sessions:
- General Sessions - Large plenary sessions for all conference attendees.
- Concurrent Sessions - Breakout sessions about specific topics that build on the themes of the general sessions.
- Spotlight Sessions - Brief topical sessions presented by conference sponsors and partners.
- Network Roundtables*- Focused discussion sessions for attendees working in specific areas of practice.
When not in meetings, attendees will have opportunities to meet and network:
- Host Company Reception - LA Opera's opening reception for all conference attendees.
- Sponsor Reception - A conference-wide reception to meet sponsors in the Exhibit Hall.
- Affinity Group Homerooms & Reception - Morning and evening meet-ups for members of the LGBTQIA+ Opera Network, Racial Justice Opera Network, and Women's Opera Network.
- Network Dinners* - Add-on dinners for conference attendees working in specific areas of practice.
*Networks include Artistic Administration, Development, Education/Community Engagement, Finance/HR, Marketing/PR, Performer Development, Technical/Production, and Trustees. Some network events are open only to staff and trustees of Professional Company Members.